Allison is a Registered Dietitian and a Personal Trainer who loves almond butter and hates lettuce. Allison states that she created her blog, The Picky Eating RD, as a way to reach out to other people (especially those that are considered to be picky eaters!) and let them know that even though we all don’t eat perfectly, life is all about learning how to create the right balance. She graduated from the University of Illinois, and currently enjoys working with people to get their diets right. Don't let her blog fool you - while she is a picky eater, she is actually very knowledgeable about the benefits and nutrition behind almost any edible item!
You're a registered dietitian and a personal trainer. Impressive! What was it that made you choose these particular professions?
I have always been very interested in health and fitness. I used to be a competitive gymnast and stopped when I was in high school. I then grew 7 inches after that! I had to relearn how to eat for my new body and struggled with it for years. I knew that I wanted to be in a profession where I could help people who have struggled with their eating patterns. I also can't sit still. Being both a trainer and dietitian I am able to remain active during my workday.
Do you have a favorite food that you absolutely can’t live without?
Oh I have too many to name! I would say almond butter, fruit, and black beans rank highest. I have all 3 of those foods almost every single day and am not sure what I would be snacking on without them.
Is there a food or foods that you avoid? Why?
Lettuce! I can't stand the taste of it. People always tell me I am crazy but it tastes so bitter to me. I do tend to avoid foods that are highly processed and those containing fake sugars. I avoid them because of the way they make me feel. Many people don't realize the side effects of fake sugars; bloating, indigestion, stomach cramping and I have experienced them all. Those side effects alone were enough to get me to stop consuming them.
What are your favorite types of recipes?
I love recipes that contain fresh ingredients and spices but are super simple. For me the less time it takes to prep a meal, the better. I am generally cooking for one and I don't have time to be spending hours in the kitchen when I get home from work.
What is your favorite part of being a dietitian? Personal trainer?
My favorite part of both professions is seeing my clients change and improve their health. There is nothing better than having someone say to you "you have changed my life for the better". Those statements are why I love my job.
What is your best advice to people who want to start living a healthier life?
Patience, balance, and consistency. It takes time for change and people need to realize this. Their bad habits didn't develop overnight and they might take months and months to change. This is ok! Consistency is key when it comes to living healthy. I encourage my clients to make at least 80% of their food habits healthy while leaving the other 20% for those enjoyment type foods/drinks. Because let's be honest, who doesn't enjoy a nice glass of wine or cookie every once in awhile ;).